Thursday, September 06, 2007

New Semester

This semester I'm taking five classes: Doctrine and Covenants, Living Prophets, Spanish Phonetics and Phonology, Spanish Literature, and Sociology.

My plan is this: If I take two religion classes, one of them will be my least enjoyable class by default. It just has to be. Religion has always been the worst part of my BYU experience. And the other will be tolerable when I compare it with the first. And this way I might enjoy a religion class before I graduate. Good plan?

I think I've already decided which of my two religion classes will be Satan's tool in making me hate Mormonism. (Well, not really.) In my syllabus for Living Prophets, I have an average of 12 conference talks per day to read, in addition to one or two chapters from the text. Not cool. That will take me at least three hours to complete. It takes the general authorities two full sessions of conference to deliver the addresses I have to read. I also have to take notes in my Ensign, and I'm graded on how much I write in the margins. I actually have to turn in my Ensign at the end of the semester.

I have other classes. If I plan on graduating with a degree other than religious education, I will not be able to do all the reading for this class. It's unreasonable. I can't spend all my time reading talks and expect to have time to do my other homework. I know that religion is important, and that it should be a high priority in my life. But seriously, I'm trying to get an education, and BYU keeps getting in the way.

No comments: